Saturday, November 12, 2005

Cut the damn nails!!!!!!

If your dog's nails look like this, I officially hate you.

After my three classes today, the grooming manager begged me to help them out as they were swamped. I had very little else to do so I said sure. Being that I'm not trained as a groomer, I did the quick things like clean the ears and clip the nails. I pulled this little chihuahua out of the kennel in the back and the nails looked like the picture above. I felt so bad for the little girl. I clipped them quickly, and then realized the poor thing had dewclaws that were not only too long, but they had curled all the way around and were imbedded into the pad of her foot! Not on just one paw either.. on both front paws. :(

So I clipped off the nail, and of course the dog started screaming bloody murder in my ear, which was right next to her mouth as I clipped... then I had to pull the nail out of her pad. :( Of course it bled and I cleaned it out with hydrogen peroxide, and did the other one. The poor dog. I was so mad. I wanted to beat the owners to a bloody pulp. Especially because they had not one but FOUR dogs all with overgrown toenails!!!! Thankfully only one dog suffered nails grown into the pads.

When they came back for their dogs, I grabbed the little dog I performed minor surgery on and showed them what their neglect had done to their dog. I also explained to them how to keep it clean and begged them to come in more often if they didn't think they could clip the nails themselves. Incidentally, if anyone reading this is afraid to clip their dog's nails, here's a great site. Click here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home