Monday, October 24, 2005

shut up and drive

I woke up late Sunday, as it was the first time in a week I got decent sleep. I got up and did my normal let the dogs out and feed them, shower and then planned on heading over to see Eldon. I took the dogs to his place and as soon as I parked my car in the hospital parking structure, I get a frantic phone call from my mother.
Apparently, she boarded her dogs while she went to Seattle. My brother was supposed to pick them up, but he had girlfriend issues and was so distraught there was no way he could even drive. So my mom begged me to go pick them up. Keep in mind, I live in Vancouver and the hospital is in Beaverton, so I just spent 45 mins driving around, and now she's asking me to drive BACK up to Vancouver, pick up her dogs, go to my brother's house and get keys to my mom's, drop her dogs off, and drive all the way back to Beaverton again. She knew I'd do it too.. because it was her dogs.
I reluctantly agreed, and went up to Eldon's room to see him. He was doing much better and said he wanted to have some REAL fresh air. We went for a walk down to the hospital's courtyard. The sign on the door was pretty amusing... No Smoking (exception for hospital patients). Ok, so you're not allowed to smoke UNLESS you're a patient of the hospital? I thought those were the last people they would want smoking... Anyway, he was glad to get some real air and then we went back to his room and chatted for a bit before I went to drive around and be a doggie taxi.


2 hours later, I got all that done, and just as I pulled BACK into the hospital parking garage, Warren calls me to let me know that Abby's taco soup dinner I was promised was now ready. I told them the sorted story and said I might have to pass because I just got back to the hospital again and have spent next to no time with Eldon. Got back up to Eldon's room and he had been doped up on pain meds so he could sleep soundly. He was already nearing his drug enduced coma when I arrived, so all I would get to do at this point was watch him sleep.
So, I decided to go have some taco soup. I drove over to Eldon and Warren's house, had some delicious taco soup and watched Eurotrip with them.
My mom called me to thank me for taking care of the dogs, and I said no problem, but that she would have to do the same for me sometime. It's nice to know I have a dog related favor waiting around....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home