Monday, February 20, 2006

Giving Up.

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, and I've decided that not getting what you want is often a catalyst for change. This is definately true in my case. So unfortunately if I want to get what I want, I'm going to have to give up some of the things I love.

First off is my job. All my life I've done LOTS of different types of jobs. I managed a video store, I wrote warrants for people on probation who broke the rules, I worked at a clothing manufacturing plant, I worked at a bank, I worked at a vet office, I photographed children, and I thought I finally had found something I loved, when I got a break and managed to land a job as a dog trainer. However, it is becoming glaringly obvious that even though I love this job, I can't afford to do it anymore. I'm just not being payed enough to survive, (some would even argue that I'm not being paid what I'm worth.) So now, the search is on, to find a job that pays well.... even if I don't like it. That's I guess the sacrifice a lot of people make. They give up their dreams for financial stability. I guess that's what growing up is all about.

Then comes my dogs. I think I'm going to need to find a new home for one of them. I absolutely love Rikka, and I feel like I did the best I could for her well-being by taking her out of the situation she was in and giving her a loving home, but now I think it's time she goes to a home better suited for her. I don't know what I was thinking taking on extra responsibilities and an extra mouth to feed when I can barely feed myself. I was once again, thinking with my heart instead of my mind. (One of my biggest blessings and curses.) Besides that, I think she would be happier in a home where she was either the only dog, or had dogs of her size to play with. Wesley is too much for her, and she spends a lot of time hiding under the couch to escape his nose. Wesley too would be happier being the only dog. I absolutely don't want to give her up, but I think it would probably be the best for both of us. I couldn't even fathom giving up Wesley. He's been the light of my life for 2 and a half years, and he would be devastated, as would I if we were apart.

So concludes a very sad blog entry from someone who has to give up two things she loves, for the betterment of my life in the long run... Feel free to comment on my decisions, as irrational thinking is rampant for me these days, and I could use all the encouragement I can get to get through this.

3 Comments:

Blogger a_dog's_life said...

Thank you Casey. The problem with my job is that I literally can't afford to keep it. They cut my hours back to half of what I was doing, and with the crappy hourly wage I make I can't make my bills. I was barely making it with full time hours. I don't have any other choice at this point.

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rikka will find a home easily. She's a cute and spunky li'l pooch. Finding a home for her shouldn't be that difficult.

As for giving up the dog trainer thing, hrmmm...tough call. Maybe doing it on a part-time basis, and then landing another part-timer to fill the in-betweens. I did that for a time.

But be thankful for one thing. At least you see daylight while you're fully awake, rather than heightened awareness at dusk.

4:09 PM  
Blogger shane said...

Given your knowledge and expertise it would be cool if you could run your own dog training businesss. I'm sure there is a lot of opportunity out there for someone like you.

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home