Monday, February 27, 2006

and then she was gone....

I adopted Rikka because she had to find a home where she would be happy and secure. When I took her, she was an insecure little puppy who would pee anytime someone came near her, due to her lack of any human contact for the first 5 months of her life.

I gave her the best home that I could. A loving, yet disciplined home, where she learned basic house manners, as well as self-asteem. She seemed happy here, except for the fact that Wesley just played too rough with her. She eventually spent most of her time either defending herself from him, or hiding under the couch. That was no life for her.

So, as much as I love her... it was time for me to find her a home where she would be able to be truely happy. A woman I worked with fell in love with her the first time she saw her. Every time I saw Dolores, she would ask, "How is my little puppy?" She always assumed ownership of her everytime we talked, so naturally, when it came time to find a loving home for Rikka, she was the only person I asked. She seemed so happy about it when I spoke to her.

So today, was the day. I drove out to her beautiful home, and Rikka and Dolores spent some time getting to know each other, while I told her all she needed to know to provide Rikka with a similar environment to what she was used to, as well as all her little quirks.

Rikka's new home:

A neatly landscaped backyard for her to roam safe from other animals:

and a loving little old lady, who will cherish her to pieces.

It was a sad drive home, but I know in the end it was the best thing I could have done for her. A final gesture of love. Give her to someone who needs her as much as she needs them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home